Performing a DCAM assessment is the best way to evaluate internal data management capability. A DCAM assessment is a structured evaluation of your data management program. It is based on core data management principles and achieved via consensus across involved stakeholders. During a DCAM assessment, firms evaluate their own data management initiatives based on DCAM capabilities and dependencies. The result is a formal review of your data management program including a gap analysis and a list of agreed priorities.
There are several approaches and support models for conducting a DCAM Assessment:
- Internal DCAM Assessment: Members are entitled to freely download all DCAM resources and use them to conduct internal assessments. We encourage your assessment team to enroll in the DCAM Framework class to ensure complete understanding of the underlying principles including how to consistently apply the DCAM methodology.
- DCAM Training Workshop: The EDM Council offers training workshops in support of internal DCAM assessments. The workshop approach includes training for the core team and executive stakeholders. Workshops combine internal surveys with facilitated interaction based on the unique circumstances of your organization.
- DCAM Authorized Partner (DAP) Support: Many of our consulting members have joined the DCAM Authorized Partner Network and are certified to conduct formal DCAM assessments. Working with a DAP participant is a proven method of effectively integrating data management capabilities into your internal operations.
Engagement models can be scaled to fit your needs and your budgets - Key assessment factors include:
- Depth: Assess at different DCAM levels > Component (8) - Capability (34) or Sub-Capability (100+)
- Evidence: Assess based on collective work group observation or subject to artifacts for score validation
- Sentiment: Assess broader business user communities with additional sentiment based surveys
- Breadth: Assess at the > Data Management Practice > Business Users > Industry Peer Group
- Coverage: Assess at the Business Unit > LOB > Enterprise
- Organization Size: Assess businesses at all different sizes > Tier 1, 2, 3 and different geographies
- Deliverables: Provide assessment results - quality review artifacts - peer group analysis - roadmap recommendations